Nothing hurts a great smile quite like stains on your teeth! Some of the top staining culprits are pasta sauces, wines, coffees, teas, juices and sodas. If any one of those items happens to be a favorite of yours, then it’s likely you have one or more stains on some of your teeth.
What can you do to help restore your smile to its natural, pearly white state? Here are a few steps you can take to fight off teeth stains.
Clearly, the easiest way to fight off stains is to prevent getting them in the first place. Here are some ways you can accomplish this:
- Drink and eat staining drinks and foods in moderation
- Swish around water in your mouth after eating or drinking a particularly staining food item
- Brush your teeth after every meal, not just in the mornings and evenings
- Use toothpicks after meals at restaurants to remove food debris from your teeth, especially if you ate tomato-based sauce
- Reduce the acidity in staining drinks by adding water, such as combining a fourth of a cup of water with every three-fourths of cups of orange juice
If you have some stains built up over time, there are some things you can start doing now to cover them or get rid of the surface of the stains.
First, invest in a high-quality toothbrush, either manual or electric or sonic. The harder the bristles, the more stain-lifting action you’ll have with each brush.
Second, get toothpaste that has whitening and tartar removal properties. Tartar is the sticky material on your teeth that is made up of bacteria and food debris. It also tends to have a yellow/brownish color to it, which is only heightened by staining food and fluid agents. Getting rid of tartar is a great first-step in unveiling the white teeth beneath.
Last, consider getting whitening strips or mouthwash. They can help cover up the stains by changing their very color as well as the color of the very outer layer of your teeth’s enamel.
Getting advanced help
Sometimes, the best way to treat stained teeth – or any dental or oral ailment, really – is to get professional help. If you come and visit us, we can perform some advanced whitening and stain lifting techniques to restore your teeth to their natural state.
Make an appointment at HealthySmile.com, or call us at (708) 460-3040!